Monday, March 12, 2012

Message from Deep in the Black Forest

Some of you think I live in Karlsruhe because I'm here all the goddamn time, but I actually live in a small town deep in the Black Forest. It has its own charm. Observe:

Town hall.

That arrow is where my apartment is.



So I've been in Germany for about 6 months now, and my experiences here could be summed up in three words:

Opposite of what I'm used to. I grew up around big cities and lived in capitals for most of my adult life. Villages and small towns are still a mystery to me. I miss the anonymity of big cities (especially when the people who recognize you on the streets are your students or their parents), though I would take small-town life over...

Heartbreak that spurred a spontaneous (but epic) journey through Scandinavia and Western Europe. I have seen more places in Germany in the past 6 months than US cities in the 23 (...I guess 16 if you subtract all the time I wasn't in the state) years I've lived in California. I was in a slump for months, but the thing about not being tied down to anything makes me more likely to flee to random places. Which is unfortunate at times, because often I find myself in situations that make me think...

lolwut. The randomness factor of my life has reached an all-time high. In the non-depressed, non-dramatic way, nothing makes sense to me now. Everything is baffling. I could walk past a farm and witness a UFO abduct a cow, and it wouldn't bother me. This is where my life is at.

- Karlsruhe